I always have a batch of wholemeal vegetable muffins in the freezer for easy snacks. They freeze well, defrost quickly and are great for an on-the-go snack. I like to know what my son is eating and have snacks with vegetables.
Here is a recipe I often use, although I often change what vegetables are in there. Sometimes I put peas in, pumpkin, spinach or silverbeet or whatever else is handy. Grated cheese or feta is also another addition that sometimes goes in. I just make sure the batter is about the same consistency. Here you go:
- 1 cup of plain wholemeal SR flour (or wholemeal spelt flour with a teaspoon of baking powder)
- 1 cup of fine cornmeal (polenta)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 60 gms of butter melted
- one zucchini grated
- one carrot grated
- one cob of corn kernels
- 1/4 cup of chives chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C and grease 24 hole mini muffin tin.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and combine egg, milk, butter, and vegetables. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients lightly so that the batter is still lumpy.
- Spoon batter into tin and bake for 15-20 mins until muffins are risen and golden. -Cool for a few mins and turn onto a wire rack.