This is what my son had for lunch today:
I must admit, I am no lover of broccoli. (In fact I really hate the taste and purposely avoid it). Nevertheless, knowing it is really good for me, it is good to find ways to incorporate it in my diet! This is a lunch I can tolerate despite my broccoli aversion and more importantly its a lunch my son loves! (He could probably eat the whole pot). Its pretty quick to whip up and best served with a dollop of cream or yogurt. (Its also very cheap if you buy broccoli in season)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 large ‘trees’ of broccoli chopped
- A couple of cups of homemade chicken stock (enough to just cover the contents in the pot) (I always have this on hand made up in the fridge or freezer)
- Fry off the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes until soft in a little oil
- Add the carrots and fry off for another couple of minutes (you could also add chopped celery if you had this on hand)
- Add the broccoli and chicken stock and let simmer for about half an hour (or until the broccoli is soft)
- Use a stick blender to made smooth
- Serve with yogurt or cream
My sister also has a variation of Broccoli Soup:
- Sauté chopped onion in some butter.
- Add about 500g of broccoli and cauliflower florets (you can use a 500g pack of frozen or you can use fresh).
- Add two cups chicken stock and 1 cup milk.
- Simmer until vegies are tender.
- Put in lots of grated Parmesan.
- Blend and Season to taste.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream.